Thursday, January 10, 2008

Gibbs retires cites Jason Taylor as reason. Next Redskins Coach?

Joe Gibbs has once again announced his retirement, 4 years to the day after coming back to the Washington Redskins. The head coach position to the worlds most valuable franchise has once again been vacated. Gibbs has cited family reasons leading many to believe Gibbs wants to be closer to his sick grandson, Jason Taylor. Joe Gibbs updates the world on the status of his grandson at

The next head coach for the Redskins has not yet been picked. Al Saunders and Gregg Williams both have one year left on their contracts both of which stipulate a million dollar award if they are not named as the next head coach of the Redskins.

Bill Cowher is also rumored to be in talks with the Redskins as the next head coach. Russ Grimm is also thought to be a candidate for head coach, representing a "spiritual successor" to Joe Gibbs, and a coach who would keep the Al Saunders Gregg Williams offense and defense. It is doubtful that Bill Cowher would keep the existing systems or coaches.

As far as I'm concerned the most likely replacement for Joe Gibbs is Gregg Williams (~60% chance) with Cowher (35%) and Russ Grimm (5%) as other possibilities.

Gregg Williams has been a head coach and has had success with the Redskins defense. It also seems that Gregg Williams has learned to respect players and their contributions to the success of a team in his time with the Redskins (most notably Sean Taylor), which has been one of his biggest flaws as a coach prior.

No comments: